Troubleshooting for "Modules update failed" message
- You receive the error message "error 0073"
- You receive the error message "Modules update failed"
To view instructions for an operating system other than Windows, choose the appropriate operating system below:
- Make sure you are using the latest version of your ESET product: How do I upgrade ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus to the latest version?
- Re-enter your ESET-issued Username, Password, or License Key: How do I enter my Username, Password, or License Key into the system?
- Verify that your license has not expired.
- Clear the update cache.
Remove any previously installed antivirus software: Common antivirus software removal tools
Exclude ESET from detection on your third-party firewall (such as Norton Personal Firewall, ZoneAlarm, or others). If you are using the ESET Personal firewall and have no other firewall software installed, disregard this step.
Configure your update settings properly:
- Open the main program window and press F5 to access the Advanced setup window.
- Click Update, expand HTTP Proxy, select Do not use proxy server from the Proxy mode drop-down menu, and then click OK. (Version 8.x and earlier: expand Update and then click Update → Setup, click the HTTP Proxy tab, make sure that Do not use proxy server is selected, and then click OK).
If your settings in HTTP Proxy are locked (read only) then this proxy policy was forced by ERA Server. You can revoke this setting from the ERA Web Console. If there is no access to ERA Server (for example, ERA Server no longer exists) uninstall the ERA Agent and then Uninstall and reinstall your ESET product.
Test communications with the ESET update server:
Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard, type cmd into the text field and press ENTER.
Windows 8 users: Press the Windows key + Q to open an app search and type cmd into the Search field.
ping update.eset.cominto the command prompt and press ENTER (see Figure 1-1).
If you are able to connect to the update server, you will see a Reply from... message followed by the IP address of the server you are trying to reach.
- Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard, type cmd into the text field and press ENTER.
Uninstall and reinstall your ESET product.
Clean an infected computer:
I think my computer is infected - what should I do?
If you are still unable to resolve your issue, please email ESET Technical Support.